Monday, April 27, 2015

Mad Men Review

I have enjoyed the show Mad Men. The fashions, the furniture, the way of life back then was endearing to relive. I am sad to see it come to an end, but I am angered that the writing had become so poor. This show had so much promise, it could have been a positive reflection on the 60s and 70s, but instead it chose to become no more than the same themes running over and over. Those themes were adultery, alcoholism, divorce, and disappointment. How many times did they lose their agency? I think we are into the 3rd or 4th at this point. A 7th grader could have written this crap.  The men in this series were, mainly, a bunch of drunks while the women did most of the work and got little of the credit. 

   The writers for this series must see life through a different pair of glasses than the real world. Surely there could have been a few characters who had healthy relationships and who did not drink. 

  My two favorite characters were Peggy and Joan and their lives turned out horrible. Why not allow Peggy some joy? IF I had been writing for this series I would have had Peggy to marry a successful man who worked for a TV studio and see her go forward to win an Emmy. I also think, in real life, a woman like Joan would have no problem marrying a doctor and settling down in a sprawling, lakeside home in the Hampton's. Instead she is made to chose between her son and a husband--how terrible!
  Roger was a fun character because he got so many of the humorous lines. Don, who was supposed to be Super Man, turned out to be a drunk who could not be true to any woman and he married two of the most beautiful women in the world. What was that deal with him standing in the hallway at the door of his mistress? Sicko. Flirting with a 17 year old friend of his daughter? Double sicko. 

No telling what the end will be, but I look for it to be a big disappointment. I'd say they will make it so that, like Star Trek, they can make a few Mad Men movies in the future. However, I kind of think Don Draper may kill himself by jumping out the window. After all, at the beginning of each show, we see him falling. 


No comments: